17 June 2007

One one-thousandth of a picture: A word about Europe

June 4, 2007
Today I begin a journey that I set in motion one year ago. In high school I had an amazing teacher. Mr. Devon C. Adams was his name and he taught Advanced Placement English Composition 11. I was infatuated with the idea of writing to begin with but after encouragement and guidance from this man I became more enthusiastic and more confident about my ability as a writer. I guess in a way you could say he changed my life because of this passion he ignited in me to write often and well. After I was no longer Mr. Adam's student I kept in close personal contact as if he were a peer - I really considered him more of a friend than a teacher. He offered that we go to the East Coast at the end of my junior year. My best friend (Zach), a fellow student (Jason) and I went and had a marvelous time. My respect and appreciation for Adams would only increase with time. Although a little eccentric at times, he was always entertaining. During my senior year of high school Devon told me that he was interested in taking another trip. Excited I asked him when, where and how much. He asked me to pick a few countries in Europe, but instead I supplied him with a comprehensive list of just about every country in Europe. He asked me about five specific countries: Poland, Hungary, Austria, the Czech Republic and Germany. I said that sounded very interesting. It was something off the beaten path. I have gone off into a tangent which is typical of my writing style; I also tend to be very repetitive. So low and behold I am on the plane to Europe as we speak. Getting to the airport this afternoon was a rush because I knew what was in store. My excitement only continued to mount.

2 comments:

Devon Adams said...

Thank you for the nice note.

Matt Lewis said...

you are welcome. would you like me to add more?